Friday, June 15, 2007

Book, Books, Books: Friday 5

Books, Books, Books Friday Five from the Rev Gals today!

Oh, Sally! Hey, for the first time ever F5 got posted late enough I can play early; here's what Sally blogged:
I've just returned from a meeting in Cambridge so I'm posting this late here in the UK (it is 3:45pm).. because I took the opportunity of a free afternoon in Cambridge's wonderful book shops... I only bought a few- and they were on sale- very restrained for me!!!

So with my head full of books I've seen and a long wish list in my mind, I bring you a Friday Five on books!!!
This is very tough, but in my desire to score an unheard of early play from the Left Coast and the fact I'm pianist for an 11 a.m. memorial service, I'll sketch out some ideas.

1. Fiction what kind, detective novels, historical stuff, thrillers, romance????

For the artist-designer in me, kid's book with fabulous illustrations; for more grownup-type fare, I enjoy Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who... series. These don't exactly qualify as fiction, but periodicals I enjoy include Better Homes and Gardens as well as Print and Step Inside Design from the graphic design industry and endeavor.

2. When you get a really good book do you read it all in one chunk or savour it slowly?

Chunk reader here.

3. Is there a book you keep returning to and why?

Martin Buber, I and Thou; William Stringfellow, An Ethic for Christians and other Aliens; The Bhagavad Gita...

4. Apart from the Bible which non-fiction book has influenced you the most?

The above-cited trio and the three volumes of Paul Tillich's sermons, which I believe have been reissued in one volume: The Eternal Now; The Shaking of the Foundations; The New Being

5. Describe a perfect place to read. ( could be anywhere!!!)

On the beach when it's not too hot and/or sunny; curled up in an overstuffed chair in the living room or on the porch or veranda or deck.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - that's some heavy stuff there! Good play - hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Cat Who . . . books too! I haven't seen a new one in a while tho. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, thanks for sending a little love my way...it was sorely needed! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent play- some interesting books in you lists!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!