Thursday, August 19, 2021

Five Minute Friday • Teach

suntreeriver design yard chair
Five Minute Friday :: Teach linkup

A decade ago on facebook mini-polls trended for a while. One of mine asked what little kid me wanted to be when I got older. Choices were artist, teacher, famous, and designer. Similarities between artist and designer should have clued people – although I do some fine art, I usually identify as an artist-designer – but evidently not. Most people guessed teacher or artist. Only Mike Lewis of MIchael David Lewis Music correctly guessed famous, but he may have been the only respondent I knew in real life. Mike didn't need to guess. Mike knew.

Famous hasn't happened (yet!), but teacher has. I'm very greedy and I want to learn as much as possible from everyone and in every situation. Of course… I don't seriously crave a lot of life going down with circumstances sufficiently dire they only become a "learning experience." I love to teach because When you teach others, you teach yourself, per violinist Itzhak Perlman.

What do I like to teach? Everything I know something about. Art and design; bible and theology; music— especially keyboards. How about you? Would you rather be the teacher or the learner? If your answer is teacher, you know you're both.

# # #

A big "Thank You" again to FMF host Kate for the wonderful cable knit and yarn heart button.
give minute friday teach knitting sweater or scarf with heart
five minute friday series button new

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I love to learn, and to share what I've learned. Definitely both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish that I knew how to teach
    the cool stuff that I know,
    but that skill's quite out of reach,
    so down the road I go,
    acting all mysterious
    (It's alchemy, old son!),
    and leaving people curious
    that, really, such a one
    as I truly seem to be
    could ever have the smarts
    to do the stuff that they can see
    needs mastery of certain arts
    when I look like I don't know
    more than a water buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often said that I am a perpetual student. I love to learn. While I am not a teacher by profession, I do hope I have been able to instill some good into the lives of those around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. So very well spoken. I love to learn, Thank you for this lovely post. Blessings.
    ~Selah ~
    FMF#16

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to teach....but teach little people:) Learning is great as well...but teaching is what makes my heart happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I'd have to say both I think... learning is so much fun, and sharing what you know and enlightening someone else... joy! :) FMF3

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!