Friday, August 23, 2024

Five Minute Friday :: Usually

savory veggie sandwich
Five Minute Friday :: Usually Linkup

What a terrific prompt! I just loved Kate's rundown of old usuals that no longer are her norm.

About usually, food is my love language. Many usuals that seriously matter to me and daily affect me are food-related. Two weeks ago on my scripture blog, I wrote to the ongoing reality of one of my favorite verses:

Get up and eat; otherwise the journey will be too much for you. 1 Kings 19:5

As someone who sometimes obsesses about food, although I have very strong culinary preferences, I'll eat almost anything: 1. To tame my hunger; 2. To be polite; 3. Out of curiosity; 4. Not to waste food.

No surprise my header is a sandwich that features some of my usual favorite ingredients: good bread; tomatoes; leafy lettuce; onions; feta cheese. When I discover I really really enjoy a combination of ingredients or a particular plate, burger, or bowl at a restaurant, it easily becomes my usual. Such a creature of habit! But when or if that's not available or someone suggests another option (I like to be polite), at times – or even oftentimes – the new one tastes better and then becomes what I usually order.

Most of us usually have preferred food, typical clothes we wear, favorite household furnishings and decor, all of which stay in place until for some reason another variety becomes our usual. That closely relates to the new normals we long for and keep searching for at various life junctures—maybe especially as covid continues.

Can our usually easy-going habits with spice of life options such as food, wearables, and furniture set an example for more easily turning from longing for our old usual normal lives into living the new life in front of us with its unknown yet exciting path and destination?

# # #
1 Kings 19L7
five minute friday usually
five minute friday icon button logo

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea that turning to something new often times becasue we have no other choice can lead to something even better! Thank you for the reminder to "Get up and eat!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's funny how quickly our 'favourite' can so quickly change when we are also open to the new and to change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say you are that which you eat,
    and that might be quite nice,
    but how the blazes will you greet
    someone eating mostly rice?
    And what if chicken is the fave,
    the go-to taken every day?
    Will this cause one to behave
    in a cock-a-doodle way?
    I'm glad I shy away from beef,
    from childhood unto now,
    for can be quite the relief
    not to be taken for a cow.
    Better to be (where I come from)
    a bottle of Jack Sparrow's rum.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!