Friday, September 29, 2023

Five Minute Friday :: Copy

Five Minute Friday Ghetto box and green plant
Five Minute Friday :: Copy Linkup


With Kate's boombox picture, how could I not five minute friday today? With the "copy" prompt, how could I not reflect on copyrights, digital rights, and AI/Artificial Intelligence? I needed to consider my own claims to my own creative processes and output. I need to remind my readers and viewers:

Blog Content © 2002-2023 …

text, images, graphics, designs and photographs may not be copied, reproduced, or used in any derivative manner without explicit written permission.

Portable stereos or ghetto blasters remain a fond blast from my past; every so often music from one happily energizes my present. "Personal, individual" music conduits like earbuds and headphones simply don't resonate and reach far enough, but please don't worry. You can have the best of all words and plug those into any boombox manufactured in the past couple of decades, and yes, you can buy a new one for yourself or a model for your kids at any nearby Big Box retailer.

But copy remains a concern. As a creative, I frequently remind people there's nothing really original; almost everything derives from something else in some way. You've heard the hue and cry about AI crawling the internet to steal words and art and other creative output. Aside from residuals and other concerns particularly related to streaming, AI was a huge factor behind the recent SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes.

A few weeks ago I participated in an AI-related ZOOM forum aimed at creatives. One of the presenters asked if we wanted to return to minuscule capacity hard drives, dialup modems, 3.5" floppy disks, *even* 5.25 inch floppies.

I've recently read counsel on how to identify AI-generated photography. Online options to check for plagiarism have long been available. You always can reverse image search to find out if someone has stolen your art or photography. Yet none of this addresses risks and concerns of AI making copies, overwhelming, and overtaking the world.

# # #

five minute friday copy
five minute friday icon button logo

3 comments:

  1. I've not quite figured out how to do a reverse image search. Might be something for me to google. FMF10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pursuing understanding. It’s over my head, but I trust God to sort it out. Maybe it’s good that AI will be trained by faith words. I don’t know, but God knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know but I've been told
    that this world is going mad.
    Computers getting very bold,
    and statesmen breaking very bad
    just like ol' Caligula
    who made senator of his horse...
    but I would put it to ya
    that this might be the wisest course
    of action, given what we see
    of the people that we send
    up to that strange place, DC,
    where promise breaks and morals bend,
    and no-one 'telligence espies,
    artificial, yeah, or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!