Friday, September 01, 2023

Five Minute Friday :: Absence

empty plates

Five Minute Friday :: Absence Linkup

Disclaimer: Faithful readers! I don't want this to sound like poor sorrowful me, but it is a lament. You can't change what you don't acknowledge, and I've gotten into the very bad, destructive habit of toxic positivity. After all, things almost always could be worse, right?

Absence.

empty plates
empty houses
empty beaches
empty lives
empty hope
it's winter all over my world

is absence devoid of life, or does something else now occupy and live in that space?

Old Testament scholar Walter Brueggemann reminds us much of life – most of life? – is sabbatarian. We spend many of our hours and even many entire days inbetween Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

People who live in places with cold snowy winters are particularly aware of (and wait expectantly for) the verdant glory that happens after winter. As a result of winter. Some flowers and plants require winter in order to bloom. To quote my linked blog, "Hushed, quiet, still, chill of winter is essential to make roots that literally give the bulbs power to make flowers; winter temps allow bulbs to grow long, deep roots."

But I can't help but wonder about the length of my winter, the almost endless absence of life. Of summer.
# # #
five minute friday absence
five minute friday icon logo

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, it really could be worse,
    although it is a bummer
    living under cancer's curse,
    and not to see another summer,
    but what the heck, I've got it made,
    because I have today,
    and all depends on how I've played
    the cards set in my way.
    There's a blessing in the pain
    that it took me time to see,
    and in my heart's a glad refrain,
    so grateful that it's me
    that God chose to face this test
    to prove I simply am the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think my first comment got lost...

    Yeah, it really could be worse,
    although it is a bummer
    living under cancer's curse,
    and not to see another summer,
    but what the heck, I've got it made,
    because I have today,
    and all depends on how I've played
    the cards set in my way.
    There's a blessing in the pain
    that it took me time to see,
    and in my heart's a glad refrain,
    so grateful that it's me
    that God chose to face this test
    to prove I simply am the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! All your poems are so wonderful they're worth multiples!

      Delete
  3. I can so relate.
    Thanks for sharing and letting me know I am not alone in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s been the hot heat of summer for me in the 🌡 desert. We love the heat, but long for meals on the patio. Waiting has long bra most difficult task. Bless you for putting words with feelings 🌸🌱

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find myself mulling over your lament and feeling your sadness, but also reflecting on the phrase toxic positivity. Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. Blessings, Dawn 18

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!