Friday, April 20, 2012

internet connections 5

internet connections 5, hosted by Jan, with the rationale, "I have vaguely been hearing about the coming trend of people using mobile internet devices rather than desktop computers. Having four adult children, I see them using cell phones, laptops, tablets, ipods/iphones/ipads instead of the desktop computer, which I am using right now. So I am asking you to answer the following questions about whatever device you most often use these days, first by telling us what you have:"

1. social connections: My design page is my main Facebook endeavor; on 19 May it will be 3 years old and by that date I'd love to reach 1,000 fans or individual "Likes" in FB's current less-committal way of becoming a fan. suntreeriver design (sun, tree, and river are persistent biblical images…) features some of my own art and design, photography and art by guests, and since last July, music videos every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

On Facebook I've made some wonderful theology, design, wildlife/nature, and cat connections and though I play 2 games - Happy Horses and Restaurant City - I don't really do a lot of FB other than my page. I have 2 twitter accts, suntreeriver that's connected to my LinkedIn, to at least some of my blogs and to my FB design page; liturgylegacy is my twitter newcomer. On LinkedIn that I don't take very seriously, I've listed only design stuff and visit the site only when I get a message someone has linked to me.

2. texting: Despite being exceptionally software literate, I have only a basic phone with a standard VGA - 1/3 MP camera, and text only rarely. It is so labor-intensive with a regular keyboard and predictive text doesn't always imagine what I'm trying to say!

3. games: Per my answer to (1), I play Restaurant City and Happy Horses. In some ways RC is getting old since in 1.5+ years I've leveled up lots, but it's a visual delight so I won't quit soon. Happy Horses is basic and not very sophisticated, but I enjoy my Quarter Horse and Clydesdale. Back in the day I used to ride some, and enjoyed going out to the stable on a day or half-day off, taking a lesson, working for a while grooming horses and mucking out stalls and then getting a free trail ride in payment.

4. predominant use of electronic devices? • Phone for talking, listening to voice mail, and an occasional quick pic; • iMac Computer for graphic design and internet.

5. blogging: This blog, the flagship and currently the only active one of my 4 theology blogs, will be 10 years old on 16 July! When I started way back then, besides pitas that you no longer can register with and the related diaryland, blogger was the only platform. Since I switched to the new blogger interface I'm heartened to know I've been getting about 100 hits a day, which is excellent, though I'd love more comments from those visits.

Bonus: Anything I want to add? 1. Related to my comment about being so software-literate, I use a paper rather than an electronic calendar and love stacking up calendars from previous years. 2. A FB friend invited me to a virtual New Year's party and through that event someone friend requested me telling she was "another baby boomer who tested as a millennial" in a quiz going around at the time that mainly asked about our uses and attitudes toward technology.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for you comments. I find social media the most important thing for the future of the Gospel. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - blog comments are so wonderful, yet I'm the world's worst lurker! I thought I'd break that bad habit today though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My previous phone I had to text via the keypad. Omygosh...it was so frustrating and slow that I just did not. Now, with a full keyboard much better.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!