Friday, February 01, 2013

almost groundhog day 5

Pat R hosts almost groundhog day 5.

groundhog
1. The Holiday: On a scale of 1-5 (with 1 representing, "Hey! Stop hating on the most awesome season ever!" and 5 representing, "Green. NOW."), how much are you hankering for spring? And what is a true sign that it is actually on its way?

4. As much as I love spring and adore summer, right now I'm loving basking in lengthening days and anticipating local tomatoes within a couple of months. The true sign spring's really going to be here? It still needs to be the first crocus popping up from the cold ground.

2. The Film: Seen it? If yes, Love it? Hate it? Meh?

I've watched Groundhog Day a couple times—on VHS and later on DVD; it was easy to follow and contained no egregious violence, so I enjoyed it. I don't go for profound films and books that require extraordinary interpretive skills—I do that with scripture and with real life.

life stuff button3. The Meaning: If you could relive one day of your life, what one would it be?

Not one discrete day, but any of those days around a bountiful table with good friends, good food, good drink, good conversation. I'm trying to "practice resurrection," along with imagining ways to help those days return.

4. The Meaning, Part 2: If you had to relive one day of your life over and over until you got something right (a la the Bill Murray character in the film), what day would that be?

This is a pedestrian reply, but I'll make mine working through everything a little more carefully for both German and Greek classes. For my drawing classes. For the time and effort I put in, I did very well in all those, but likely could have, would have done better if I hadn't spread myself so thin. Of course, drawing teachers all expected us to spend 25 hours a day drawing!

5. The Meaning, Part 3: If you had to design a life-changing experience for a fairly despicable human being, what would it be? How would you do it?

Let's get them get into a horrendously scary situation with everyone in their life against them and abandoning them. A stranger intervenes and saves them with a hug and a meal. That's pretty simple, but those things work for me, and for most people. Thanks, Pat!

5 comments:

  1. Where I live it is the bright yellow daffodils which "pop up".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in southern california, we pretty much have summer, fall and then spring because winter has passed us by. I do love spring though because I love rain and I love the color that spring gets, since our fall colors aren't much - palm trees and citrus are green year round!

    I love the movie Groundhog Day, it makes me laugh.

    I am not sure what day, I would relieve. Something from when dad was alive and we were all having fun, a vacation perhaps.

    Relive something over until I got it right...I have made many mistakes over the years, so I guess perhaps I would relive the day where the first mistake was made, the one that led to the rest.

    People do not change unless they want to and the best way to get somebody to want to change is to have them lose all that matters to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sharing the table answers. I would love to relieve long conversations with friends. And a hug and a meal. That's it, isn't it? Human contact, good food (and the Table).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My suggestion ~ make a list and start inviting people to your table. I did it last year and it changed us from being folk who rarely had people to our house to people known for homemade pizza. I even hugged a few along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the image of practicing resurrection!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!