Friday, August 30, 2013

first times 5

For the very last time ever on blogger, Mary Beth hosts first times five.

1. first "place" - apartment, dorm room, home with a new spouse, the first place where you really felt like a grownup:
my undergrad habitat on Clark Street with its "first floor" (continental terminology) location atop Anastasi Bros Banana Warehouse. A 2 minute walk to the Prado with statue of Paul Revere on horseback, another minute to Old North Church of Paul Revere fame, "Christ Church in the City of Boston."

2. first time away from home. Construe this any way you want. College? Girl Scout Camp? Study Abroad?
How about my first solo flight as a passenger to DTW – Detroit Wayne County airport – to visit relatives when I was in 8th grade.

3. first job in your field of endeavor (so, not baby-sitting, unless you are A Professional Baby Sitter today):
A few paid free-lancing design gigs during HS.

4. first time hosting. Again, construed broadly, this could be a dinner for the in-laws, your first time to have guests for a holiday meal, etc.:
The first party I hosted during high school. Making the guest list, planning the entertainment (music and games), determining the menu and creating the food.

5. Your first love. That can be a person or something else!!:
Mine relates to (3): color! line! pattern! design! I wanted to design textiles! I was about 4 years old.

2 comments:

  1. Did it smell of bananas? I had a student who lived over a Mexican restaurant and it put him off of Mexican for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first place that felt like mine was after I got married, when we were living in an apartment. It felt like home and I loved it. None of the other places we lived at ever felt like home.
    I was away from home every summer when I was growing up because my grandmother and I would fly to West Virginia to stay with family for a month every summer. My first time away from home for any extended length where I was on my own without family came when I was 18 and I went to Australia as part of the Student to Student program with several others.
    My first paying job was working at Rally’s Hamburgers.
    I’ve never really hosted a meal or a party on my own.
    I have always loved reading. Books are magical and I will always surround myself with books.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!