Thursday, December 01, 2016

Five Minute Friday: Crave

crave colours

Kate Motaung's Five Minute Friday this week considers crave. If you're new here, someone described FMF as a "writing flash mob," and that's about right, though everyone doesn't write or type at quite exactly precisely the same five minutes and the linkup remains live most of the rest of the week. Why not try it? You might like it!

Five About Crave

I'd be crazier than I am if I tried to count the number of times I've said out loud to a friend, acquaintance, or random passerby, "I crave an audience the way an addict craves cocaine." Something close to 95% of my entire performing musician identity is tied to The Performance. I never even think about playing a musical instrument for pleasure or recreation – one of many reasons I'm not a career professional musician – and more than once I've gone years at a time without playing a note, but once the gig date's in place, I practice my heart out to get technique and interpretation to perfection. Then when the audience is in their seats, my craving turns to excitement. Have you heard Jackson Browne's song The Loadout? He sings about the band roadies getting equipment and instruments packed and loaded for the next concert venue, and advises them, "But when that last guitar's been packed away, you know I still want to play ... So make sure you got it all set to go before you come for my piano."

Crave? Check out my own banner illustration! That's also about a major crave. Although particular yellows are far and away my favorite colors, yellow and blue my best color combo as I claim to be an honorary Swede, as an artist-designer, in clothes and home furnishings, I crave [fruit and veggie] hues that include [cantaloupe] melon, peach, apricot, coral, tomato, salmon. I crave those colours so much I can taste them and I realize salmon's a fish.

What else? My classic tossed salad crave I can't get enough of includes iceberg and leaf lettuces, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers when in-season ones are sweet and tender, multiplicitous onions thinly sliced as long as they don't bite, sweet bell peppers in colours du jour. A scattering of pepperoncini, cherry or banana peppers, crumbled feta, roquefort, or bleu cheese, creamy Italian or ranch dressing, and I'm set to satisfy the salad craving.

What do you crave?


Postscript: Do you know your Enneagram number? I'm a 3, Performer-Achiever. Capsule description says I don't know the difference between what I do and who I am.

five minute friday buttonfive minute friday crave

2 comments:

  1. Great post, great writing.

    I used to crave an audience, and health, and success...but now I am OK with being exactly where I am supposed to be, however uncomfortable and frightening it is.

    because I am not, and have never been alone.

    #1 FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/12/your-dying-spouse-240-and-god-is-still.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Fresh tomatoes are one of my fave things in the world.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!