Friday, February 11, 2022

Five Minute Friday :: Commit

creation commit earth
• Then God said,
"Let the earth bring forth grass,
and the fruit tree yield fruit,"
and it was so. Genesis 1:11

FMF :: commit linkup

Be committed to an institution. Join the church!

You may have heard the church is a human institution decided to God, a divine organism dedicated to humanity—and the rest of creation?

Whether or not you formally get baptized and officially join your local church as a full-fledged (flight wings more or less under your own control) voting member or mission partner, it began because of God's total commitment to you and to all God's beloved creation. As Martin Luther famously and scripturally explained the third article of the creed (sanctification), "I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to him, but the Holy Spirit has called me by the gospel … in the same way the Holy Spirit calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth."

I bounced my header banner with the Genesis 1 quote off of my art for Season of Creation 2018; Word was the series focus that year. Speech and action are one and the same with God: God speaks and it happens. God's Word creates, redeems, and sustains because of God's [humanly] incredible commitment to us. Since God has covenanted with us in a completely unchanging yet endlessly adaptable commitment, is it not a privilege of grace already given to us and for us to respond with our own commitment to creation that's also our commitment to God? Caring for earth's grasses and grains, stewarding those lovely fruit-bearing trees? Not by our own power, reason, strength, or will, but because the Holy Spirit makes it possible.

So… are you ready to commit? To God who's committed to you? To the creation that's God's glory and dwelling-place, the creation that embraces us in commitment?

# # #
five minute friday commit
five minute friday button

2 comments:

  1. I joiner I am really not,
    but then I found me in a lurch;
    my old resolve was soon forgot,
    and I went and joined a church.
    You must know, I am a thug,
    leather jacket, mirrored shades,
    and they all wanted to hug
    me while avoiding hidden blades.
    This stuff really blew my mind,
    I checked my wallet carefully,
    but they were really truly kind
    and wanted not a thing from me
    except that little sacrifice
    of my heart to Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am committed to the Lord and His plans for my life...sometimes I need to remember that. Not my will but His be done! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!