Friday, March 17, 2023

Five Minute Friday :: Story

Five Minute Friday :: Story Linkup

Here's one from a few years ago with my Telling the Story label

Suddenly you look and no matter how you parse it, you're not remotely where you'd marginally expected to be in terms of relationships, career, accomplishments, people you'd expected to stay on the journey with, or join you (join me, that is) on the journey.

Countless outreach attempts. I can't count the number of stories starting to be written (yay! finally!) and then erased. Did you know, do I really believe insanity is expecting different results from the same behaviors? Well… context matters. Where and when may not exactly be the key, yet how many times have I told myself and recently dared say to at least one other? My experiences would have been different in a place like Cambridge or Berkeley.

You've heard life is about story and it's about the journey. Stories include the give and take of relationships with other imperfect people. Stories happen in assorted cities and diverse surroundings. Ends of situations. Beginnings of others. Messiness and unexpectedness. Yet the best way to predict the future is to create it.

William Faulkner reminded us the past keeps overtaking us. My good actions, my mistakes and missteps, behaviors and attitudes of coworkers, acquaintances, and distant strangers, all converge to make an imperfect whole that continues to influence my future, yours, and outcomes on the other side of the planet.

Where's your story? Who's in your story?
# # #
five minute friday story
five minute friday icon

2 comments:

  1. I think Faulkner's got it wrong
    'bout being overtaken by the past,
    'cause I just sing my groovy song
    and really have a far-out blast
    right here in the here and now,
    where the skateboard meets the road,
    for running halfpipes is just how
    I shed that red-tinged-Kodak load
    of all the wasted yesterdays,
    generations lost in sorrow.
    Dump 'em all, then that-a-ways
    toward a bright and bold tomorrow
    where the lights will not grow dim;
    put behind all, and run to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to "Suddenly you look and no matter how you parse it, you're not remotely where you'd marginally expected to be"
    (Your FMF neighbor this week--#16)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!