Saturday, March 13, 2004

Romans 6 notes

"Death and Other Blessings" – arresting sermon title? No, just a Pauline one :p

Here we move into the real Gospel According to Paul: death and resurrection! The reality of our crucified and risen life – sacramentally hidden yet apparent in Christ – enables our daily, sometimes (better make that "frequently") plodding gospeled life of loving God and neighbor in the manner Jesus showed us. This chapter reminds us Paul never lost his passion for the Law, but he became more and more convinced of the total impossibility of anyone fully performing any law and more and more convinced of the justifying and redemptive grace of God in Christ Jesus.

Some of Scott's comments:

• Outlet on the American River, in La Jolla caves: even when you've already been there and done that, you still gotta trust!

• Safety in Christ Jesus!

• Freed for good works

• Freed from self-idolatry, which reminds me of Arizona poet Richard Shelton's poem, "Totem" – here's some of it (space limitations prevent quoting all of it; I really wanted to keep these notes short):
stars you inquisitive
animals
shall I tell you the same things
again shall I tell you all the places
I went when I had nowhere to go
shall I draw you a map

while it is still night
with morning around the edges
I will take the face of dawn
in my hands and say it

surely if I can tell anyone
I can tell her
that I have found
the gods and discovered
I am not one of them...
Scott quoted from Wendell Berry's "Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front." Here's an excerpt:
Love the quick profit, the annual raise,
vacation with pay. Want more
of everything ready-made. Be afraid
to know your neighbors and to die. ...
...When they want you
to die for profit they will let you know.

...So, friends, every day do something
that won't compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it. ...

Expect the end of the world. Laugh.
Laughter is immeasurable. Be joyful
though you have considered all the facts. ...

Go with your love to the fields.
Lie down in the shade. Rest your head
in her lap. Swear allegiance
to what is nighest your thoughts. ...
Practice resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!