Friday, July 05, 2013

Independence Day 5

In the Spirit of 1776, today Pat R hosts Independence Day 5

In honor of the 237th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence [USA] ... we'll be looking at all kinds of "independence," so please join in!

july summer banner
1. How does one typically celebrate your native /adopted land's Big National Holiday?

I've lived in the US of A all my life, and since our BNH is in July, that almost always means hot summer everywhere. Picnics and barbecues at the beach or in the park are the most usual way to celebrate, with as much red, white, and blue as possible. Weather, humidity, and local ordinances permitting, a major fireworks display at the end of the day is a given. I love those kinds of familial and familiar celebrations, and I love how The Fourth of July spells Americana Summer.

2. How do you personally celebrate the holiday described in #1? Any unusual twists on the typical celebration? Is it something you enjoy or endure?

I always enjoy celebrating per the above description, but hanging out at home, and watching A Capitol Fourth on PBS works for me, too; that's what I did again this year.

life stuff button3. What does the word "independence" mean to you, whether in a political or personal mood? How has that understanding changed throughout your life?

You've got freedom, liberty, independence, each with its particular and peculiar subtleties. You have endless theological debates over human agency, free will, the bondage of the will, and grace—irresistible, prevenient, or other than either. Everyone one of us is interdependent all of the time, but for the sake of this Friday 5, I'll go with Janis Joplin's famous "Freedom's just another word for [almost] nothing left to lose," because that's [almost] what I'm sensing now, as I plan to uproot from this habitat within the next few months and take off for the semi-unknown everything and head northward.

4. When did you first feel that you, personally, had gained independence? Was there a 'rite of passage' you would like to share?

Just as for many people, I've experienced a series of minor events along the way: first apartment and my pride in being able to pay the rent every month; first vehicle I financed (though that was a bit scary, scary enough I paid off the note considerably ahead of time); first apartment lease I [co]signed; possibly first solo (as a passenger) flight, though I was 12 or 13, not remotely an adult. On some level I'm feeling freedom and relief that I'm independent and unattached in terms of significant otherness or a similar relationship, so it's my choice to pursue No. 3.

5. Tell us about your favorite "indie" film, music label, book store...

When I lived in Salt Lake City, I loved to visit Sam Weller's; apparently they moved to a nearby part of the city eighteen months ago, and it's now Weller Book Works, but they remain part of the literal indie bound network!

july summer avatar

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for paying river song! You know, you mentioned something that was absolutely essential as a child growing up, and that is so engrained, I do it without even thinking about it: wearing red, white and blue! Blessings to you on your coming journey!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!