Friday, September 06, 2013

let's eat! 5

let's eat! 5 on the new revgals site

1) Is there a food from a foreign land whose reputation led to trepidation when you had a chance to give it a try? Did you find the courage to sample it anyway? If so, were you pleasantly surprised or did you endorse the less than favorable reputation that preceded it?
Short answer: I'd never been inclined to try calamari, and at my first interview weekend in a Former City, I went out to Saturday evening dinner at an Italian bistro with my host family. After he finished the side salad, my host commented, "I've always enjoyed the salads here, but this time the added calamari made it just about perfect." So I realized I'd done it. Although I'm adventuresome about food from plants and trees, I'm close to vegetarian (a little meat or fish once or twice a week), and would not willingly try anything like candied ants or fried grasshoppers.

2) What food from your own country/culture gets a bad rap?
It seems to me that a whole lot of basic USA vittles a whole lot of us took for granted when we were kids, and that most of today's working class kids still eat on a regular basis, no longer are acceptable "among the" highly educated high achievers.

3)Of what food are you fond that others find distasteful?
I love brussels sprouts—with fresh lemon juice, fresh butter, shredded parmesan, swiss, or similarly nutty cheese; I've seen enough negative brussels-sprouts related status updates to know they aren't popular with many peeps. On the other hand, although I loved broccoli when I was in HS, I'll eat it these days, but don't much crave or relish broccoli, no matter how it's prepared.

4) Is there a country’s food, not native to you, that you go out of your way to eat?
I consider myself at least a moderate foodie, and will go out of my way to enjoy again almost anything I liked the first time around. But, I typically have major conniptions if or when the second tasting isn't exactly the same as the first.

5) What is your guilty pleasure food?
Not sure I have one! Really!

Bonus: What was your most memorable meal (good or bad), either because of the menu, the occasion, the company, or some other circumstance that makes it stand out?
Back in Former City, every single Sunday after worship "Meal," every holiday or other party feast with the Tongan Church was to die for, as was their hospitality. They told me, "We have the gift of music and the gift of food." They also had the gift of hospitality.

2 comments:

  1. 1) I was given a chance to try escargot once, but could not bring myself to eat them. I just stared at them for a bit and then took bread instead. I just couldn’t try them.
    2) As an American, I think we depend too much on fast food and it does have a bad rap, and deservedly so.
    3) I love fried green tomatoes!
    4) I love Chinese and Mexican food.
    5) I have way too many guilty pleasure foods: cheesecake, prime rib, filet mignon, garlic mashed potatoes,baked ravioli with lots of melted cheese, ribs.
    6) I think one of my best meals was taken at the Sherlock Holmes pub in London, with my dad. It was a bitterly cold day, we had been out and about all day, had gotten ourselves lost at least three times that day, and had settled down to eat. We are both fans of the Sherlock Holmes stories and we happily wandered about looking at everything before sitting down to eat. It was the first time that I ever had beef wellington and Yorkshire pudding and fell in love with both. It is just a treasured memory that I have of my father, who loved food and travel and there we were, combining both

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may sound strange, but with your railway background I felt like I was enjoying a repast on a dining car while reading your post. Fun! Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!