Friday, November 22, 2013

Thanksgiving Day Food 5

Deb hosts Thanksgiving Day Food 5 on the revgals site

1. Turkey: love it? hate it? self-basted? fry it or roast it? Tofu-turkey? Tell me more. (I’ve only had one roasted turkey come out totally delish so I’m fishing for your tips!)

Neither love nor hate, but I enjoy turkey: oven-roasted (not deep-fried), and on my plate a little light, a little dark, some nicely browned skin, lots of gravy.

2. Stuffing: bagged? homemade? sage? sausage? cornbread? oysters? nuts? Got any inspiration for me?

"Stuffing inside the turkey," "dressing outside in a separate dish." Half corn-meal intensive cornbread, half white bread. Onions, celery, maybe mushrooms. Not too heavy on sage or other seasonings.

3. Cranberries: When we celebrated Thanksgiving in Europe one year, our French friends thought we were nuts to choose a very sour berry and then load it with sugar. (Let alone the stuff that comes out of a can in a blob of gelatinous ooze!) What do you do with cranberries?

Either one of those cans dumped wholesale into a dish, or cranberries and oranges ground up with sugar added.

4. Potatoes: (Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew…) What’s your pleasure?

On T-Day, mashed with some lumps, and lots of gravy. Any other day, I'll l take my taters any old way. I love them!

5. Pie: I’m married to the Pie Man. Anything but coconut pie floats his boat. What do you make? (or buy?) Pumpkin? Pecan? Apple?

I enjoy most pies (especially love graham cracker crust), but for Thanksgiving, pumpkin / squash pie is best.

BONUS: A recipe that you’ve tried out and will make it to your table this year.

pumpkin pie squares
I've long enjoyed Bisquick Pumpkin Pie Squares and have taken them to countless Thanksgiving Feasts.

2 comments:

  1. Turkey – I love turkey; not only do I love warm sliced turkey breast just from the oven but I love turkey sandwiches. I have tried to-furkey at a health food expo and I was less than impressed with it. My mom has a turkey sized cooker so we cook it in that, it’s like a personal oven just for the turkey and it always comes out perfect I have never had it deep fried and I’m not a fan of dark meat.
    Stuffing – The thoughts of oysters in stuffing makes me turn green; we get the bagged stuffing that you add fresh onion and celery too.
    Cranberries – I love cranberry sauce, I like it with whole cranberries.
    Potatoes – I like them mashed!!!
    Pie – my gran always makes pumpkin pie with extra cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes pretty much any way work for me...sans sour cream on top.

    Thanks for the recipe as well...someday I'll actually cook all the recipes I've saved. LOL

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!