Thursday, November 12, 2015

Five Minute Friday: Weary

Galatians 6:9 nov 13, weary

Friday 13 November: Weary at Kate's place

Intro:
For this almost mid-November Five Minute Friday, our host Kate Motaung chose a wintry-sounding one-word prompt: You know how these free writes go―write unedited for five minutes. Before I start writing I'll mention how well weary fits my recent synchroblog post on grace.

For the past few years I've enjoyed the slowing down, early sunrises, late sunsets [we're not supposed to edit these, so I only try to catch auto-correct's mistakes, but I meant to say late sunrises, early sunsets) and the push toward reflecting and simply being that autumn and winter bring. It's mid-November here in the northern hemisphere; in some sense all creation feels weary. After all, it's been through springtime, summer, autumn harvest. I am so ready to begin my annual ritual countdown to the winter solstice when the sun ever so briefly stands still in the sky; many of us humans became quietly still, too, and not only for a brief moment! Just as creation has, I've trekked through another year of planning, planting, feeding, watering, waiting, without quite the yield I'd anticipated. I've become psychologically, emotionally, and physically weary, though on the outside I always seem to have my signature high energy. By late afternoon some days all-around weariness pervades my body and spirit, yet for some reason it feels good, as if I've run a long, demanding race I'd prepared for to the best of my ability. Walter Brueggemann reminds us much of life – or is that most of life? – is sabbatarian, spent by humans and by all creation in sometimes weary waiting and hoping between the ninth hour on Friday and first light of easter Sunday.

5 minute friday icon

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I can relate! Even though there are nice and cozy moments about winter, I already await the longer days and summer nights! Hope you use the winter time to slow down, reflect and recharge.
    Visiting from FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brueggeman is a wise writer...full of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is why we like to hunker down with soft blankets, hot cocoa, and heartwarming movies...because we are weary and need to recharge. :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!