Friday, November 06, 2015

Five Minute Friday: Dance!

dancing

Dancers Silhouette from DodgertonSkillhause on Morgue File

Every Friday Kate Motaung hosts a 5-minute free write; Kate's prompt for today is Dance...

...Dance!!!!!


I could spend 5 hours writing about dancing and listing dances, so for only 5 minutes, a very short string of memories for this Five Minute Friday.

Every piece of music is a song; every piece of music is a dance!

Joining in the dance class in the room next to 105 where I loved practicing the small 2-manual Holtkamp organ back in music school. It was a School for the Arts, with music, visual/fine art and theater divisions; the dance teacher-coach noticed me and invited me.

Line Dancing in the Intermountain West and on the rural east coast...

Dave Grusin, "Mountain Dance" and "River Song".

Jazz dance classes at the church I served in City of History. A HS girl from our youth group offered one series; a seminary classmate taught the other. Both had been dancing all their lives!

Some of my favorite pieces in my piano repertoire are dances: Paul Creston, Prelude & Dance Opus 29, #1; Prelude & Dance, Opus 29, #2. Appalachian Dance by Paul Nordhoff. Many many MANY more I can't recall quickly enough to list in the allotted time.

I want to dance with Miriam! "Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a tambourine in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances." Exodus 15:20

from The River Is Here by Andy Park
Down the mountain the river flows
And it brings refreshing wherever it goes
Through the valleys and over the fields
The river is rushing and the river is here

The river of God sets our feet a-dancing
The river of God fills our hearts with cheer
The river of God fills our mouths with laughter
And we rejoice, for the river is here

The river of God sets our feet a-dancing, and we rejoice, for the river is here! Rivers, oceans, waterways, springs, and rejoicing always will be here to keep setting our feet a-dancing, as long as we take care of all creation.

nov 06, dance5 minute friday icon

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have so many dance related memories!
    Brie - Five Minute Friday Neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dance memories. I took line dancing lessons when my sis and I were in Nashville this summer. It was a blast!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!