Friday, December 11, 2015

Five Minute Friday: Reflect

reflect landslide seasons

Friday 11 December: Reflect at Kate Motaung's place. FMF's an unedited free write, though I do my best to check auto-correct's solutions. This week's "reflect" prompt also fits Fleetwood Mac's Landslide I quoted last week; so I'll start with the song. BTW, the font in Fleetwood Mac and Landslide is Fleetwood!

Landslide

I took my love and I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down
Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
And can I sail through the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Oh oh I don't know, oh I don't know

Fleetwood Mac, "Landslide," by Stevie Nicks

start writing

Before I begin to write, I always ponder, consider, or reflect upon the word (or image if that's the case) prompt. Sometimes for five minutes, sometimes overnight. Interesting that I suddenly realized although typically I refer to my spoken or written ideas on a topic as reflections (rather than thoughts, ponderings, ideas, or musings, that last word being so commonplace in the blogosphere it makes me cringe, though it's from the same root as music. I'm ready to give up on "ponder /pondering/s" for the same reason). Every one of my considerations on "reflect" pertained to what we perceive with our eyes, our visual sense. With the single exception of remembering we need what that ringleader called "our reflection from the other" to know what's going on with us, how the world perceives us at this time or assessed us at that time. The sun casts a shadow that reflects an object. In graphic design we have a "reflect" command so an object appears vertically or horizontally. Sometimes we retain the original object and have doubles, sometimes not. A mirror, a "looking glass" reflects what's in front of it, but in reverse! How about other people we need to trust reflect our behaviors, our presence, our speech? We need to realize sometimes they sort of get it right, at times totally backwards or reversed or what feels like inside out to us, but that reflection never is quite the same as the original, though it well may contain an aspect of the real truth.

stop!

5 minute friday icon

3 comments:

  1. Interesting how that song fit for the last two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This line: "reflection never is quite the same as the original, though it well may contain an aspect of the real truth." How true and how poignant. Visiting from FMF in the post after you. Happy Friday! -Ever grateful for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your analysis of the words ponder and musing. It is so hard to find words that are not laced with too many usings. Great post and thanks for visiting me this week.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!