Friday, November 24, 2017

Five Minute Friday :: Familiar

For today's {Black Friday} Five Minute Free Write, Kate Motaung's prompt is Familiar. Whazzup with that? Time to take five out and write.

five minute friday familiar thanksgiving

Familiar can be related to a group or family of something: humans, botanicals, animals, or others. Familiar can mean a concept or place we know so well it's like a part of our immediate.... well, family. On this Friday after Thanksgiving Thursday USA, I'm especially considering the family or household of God.

I relocated to current city almost two and a half years ago; yesterday was the third Thanksgiving Day I attended late morning worship and afterwards enjoyed a traditional American harvest feast with my current church family. Decorations each year have been similar but different, highlighted by gorgeous fresh flower arrangements – even more of a high light than the bountiful food? Almost but not quite. So I've become familiar with the basic style of their T-Day celebration. We had seating in all the downstairs rooms of the parish house and also out on the lawn, but I sat in the main living room. That place has become super-familiar to me because that's where I lead my adult Sunday School class every week. Bringing all this together? Right now this interestingly diverse church in urban West LA is my little niche, where {for now} I've found and continue exploring my place in God's household, God's own family.

That's my simply five for this time.

five minute friday familiar five minute friday new button

3 comments:

  1. I think traditions with our church family are so important! Celebrating together cements community. So glad you were able to enjoy yours. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you've found the roots of tradition in your new church home...you've inspired me!

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/11/your-dying-spouse-409-necessity-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!