Friday, August 05, 2022

Five Minute Friday :: Together

Five Minute Friday KKids Together
Five Minute Friday :: Together Linkup

A few autumns ago just before Thanksgiving Day USA, the soundtrack to a too short Walmart TV commercial sang the Youngbloods:

Love is but a song we sing
Fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry

Come on, people now!
Smile on each other
Everybody get together
try to love one another right now.

Via Luke 12:32, the lectionary gospel for this coming Sunday assures us, "Do not fear, little flock (flock of birds? flock of sheep?), it is the Father's pleasure to give you the kingdom." By the end of the scripture selection at verse 40, we've met a householder so generous he doesn't invite everyone (y'all y'all come) to the extravagant party, he takes the party to them and serves everyone himself. "Truly I tell you, the master will fasten up his belt and have the slaves recline to eat, and he will come and serve them." Luke 12:7

What a picture of the God who gifts us with the reign of life: food, drink, togetherness. I love connecting this narrative with the T-Day commercial, especially with so many immigrants in this area as well as across the country. But now in 2022 we're talking newcomers from other countries and other areas of this country, and a whole lot of people who've been here a very long time that Covid has displaced.

How about us? Of course, a lot of this relates to how much space we have in our homes and in our churches, yet how can we follow the example of the Divine Universe Owner and serve our neighbors? Maybe just as much, let's not neglect our own—in-house family and church communities?!

Come on, people now
Smile on each other
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now
Right now
Right now


Chester Powers "Get Together" lyrics © Ivan Mogull Music Corp., Irving Music Inc.

"Kids Together" header is my editing of public domain clipart.

# # #
five minute friday together
five minute friday icon button

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this so much. That song always made me so happy as did your post this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard that song in, like, forever,
    so I'm glad to hear it sung;
    really wish that "Get Together"
    was anthem back when I was young,
    but I grew up in other days,
    bred to irony and fight,
    and what drew my greatest praise?
    Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight".
    Still, I love The Youngbloods vibe
    and the hopeful gift they give
    even though it doesn't jibe
    with the life I chose to live,
    but with my remaining time
    I'll try to make the message mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know the song, but I like the lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came up anonymous, but I'm no mouse really; I'm Dawn from #32

      Delete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!