Friday, July 14, 2023

Five Minute Friday :: Work

work mosaic
• Five Minute Friday :: Work Linkup

Work! Whether in exchange for pay (legal tender, in kind, or whatever) or what's badly referred to as volunteer, labor of our hands, minds, hearts, and imaginations can provide essential "meaning and purpose," although aspects of almost any job can drive us crazy at times. Our employment and our academic strivings can inspire and respond to high aspirations. I don't know if I'd preface the fact with sadly, but context and outcome of our work sometimes turns out far different from what we'd expected or hoped.

As Kate our host pointed out, sometimes we need to take any job that comes along; sometimes we have the privilege of holding out for something that matches our abilities, our hopes, and/or the opportunities for service and societal transformation a position might offer. It's a topic for a separate blog, but (in my vast experience) I've discovered "get a job, any job" isn't always great advice. However, somewhat related, a while ago I mentioned to a conversation partner that sometimes a person doesn't want a "good job" because whatever may be going on in their life and world can't accommodate the time, effort, and commitment high end employment usually demands.

No matter what, we need to stay aware that taking care of our families and maintaining our living environment technically falls under the "work" umbrella, so a person can say they "don't work outside the home" or contracted to an external employer or entity, but almost no one can say they do not work.

Theologically I'd seriously hesitate to claim Work Is Life, but life without at least some ways to contribute to the greater good with our gifts and efforts feels deadly because if it continues too long, it truly is death-dealing.

# # #
five minute friday work
five minute friday icon

2 comments:

  1. I agree - work is not life, and life is not work, but I think work is essential to life. Visiting from FMF#15

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad my work was not my life,
    for now as my life is ending,
    that would cause a bit of strife,
    this kind of existential rending
    of the purpose of my days
    into which I had invested me;
    but now I'm able to find ways
    to redefine just how to be
    able to contribute still
    to a world from which I fade,
    to even now work the Lord's will,
    not rest on laurels the past has made.
    I pray that on my final morning
    that fresh new labour's still a-borning.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!