Friday, September 04, 2026

Five Minute Friday :: Boundary

god loves you lettering announcement outside new construction

Five Minute Friday :: Boundary Linkup

Intro

Even when their basic polity or governance is local or congregational, mainline church bodies all have denominational judicatories with names like synod, conference, presbytery, district, diocese; one of their functions is to provide oversight and accountability to the local church. My recent experience has been when a judicatory offers boundaries training for pastors and other church leaders, they usually invite everyone with interest in the topic to attend because setting boundaries is a vital aspect of mental wellness.

In any organization or business, when they hear the word "boundaries" people often think sex and money, but those are areas a person knows they're violating if they cross a boundary or border. They're usually aware of even minor transgressions of those boundaries. Sometimes we need to spell out boundaries for other parts of our lives, especially if things have gotten to feel chaotic or unbalanced.


Boundaries

Did you notice Kate's illustration for today is a fence? The American poet Robert Frost told us "good fences make good neighbors" in his Mending Wall.

Everyone needs to be concerned about setting boundaries in relationships with other people, with hobbies and recreational activities, appetites of various kinds, time, social media, and everything else every day. The need for some boundaries can be subtle.

I'm considering essential boundaries for my basic physical well-being. Ideally that happens before exploring those outside myself, but like everyone, I need to begin where I already am. There may be some boundaries it would be wise to modify or change, new ones at least to experiment with. I might plan to:

• Not settle for less sleep than I need to get through the day.
• Do my best to enjoy more fruits and veggies every day. Typically I do that almost without thinking, but where I currently live it's a major challenge I need to get intentional about.
• Stay better hydrated with water.
• Since I don't go to a gym, walk at least one mile at least every other day for the exercise and for the sunlight. Preferably morning, but if it doesn't happen early in the day, don't use that as a reason not to do it at all.

It's not about getting and maintaining a compulsive, unbendable, micro-disciplined schedule. It's about establishing structure and boundaries in sleep, nutrition, and exercise that then can wiggle and bend some to accommodate friends, family, career, volunteer work, social obligations, recreation, and unexpected situations that all typically include other people who sometimes make their own demands I need to consider.

How are you thinking and acting about boundaries these days?

# # #
orange sherbet cone
life stuff
Sylvia Ice Cream
FMF boundary
FMF logo

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!