Thursday, August 09, 2012

2nd friday random 5

2nd Friday random 5 (again). Hosted by revkjarla (again); this one's a bit challenging (again).

1. Have you planned anything for the fall/winter that you are so proud of yourself for doing so? What is it?

Yep. Taking a class in web development for androids and related devices. There literally are zero local design (print only or classic web and print) jobs, and knowing basics of smart phone development will help lots.

hibiscus new 2. What day of the week describes how you feel about yourself and why?

Fridays. When I served on church staff, whenever possible I took Friday as my day off. Since then, Friday often has been a full or half work day, yet there's something complete about the formal end of a 5-day M-F work week. Whether I haven't worked on Friday, gotten off work early afternoon, or later in the day, I try to make the day special in some way or ways. Why does Friday describe how I feel about myself? I tend to be disciplined, goal-oriented, and compulsive, yet also love to celebrate and have fun; my views about Friday describe all those traits. Cornel West: "We are people of hope! Why do we party on Friday nights? Why do we go to church on Sunday?"

3. If you could have been with Jesus at any one of his miracles, which would it have been, and why?

Ummm.... my theology's not big into miracles, signs, wonders, etc., but rather more into God's constant unmediated presence, but I'll take this as part of the challenge and "pick one" that shows care for people, stewardship of creation, and also demonstrates God's constant, unmediated presence: Mark 4:37-41
And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But he was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke him and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" Then he arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But he said to them, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?" And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey him!" nkjv
4. If you could have had another brother or sister, what would you have wanted, and why?

Given that I found out I had a younger sister (no surprise) and then discovered I also had an older sister (what?!) only about a dozen years ago, I'll say two siblings is fine with me, but I wish I'd known them earlier and I wish the younger one had some interest in connecting with me, rather than (reportedly) considering me her "extra sister."

5. If you had to choose one word that defined you and your life, what word would it be?

Hopefilled.

5 comments:

  1. I have nothing planned for fall or winter that is specific, but in a general way, I am planning on having gotten closer to reaching my weight loss goals, and in finally finding a job. The day of the week that describes me is Wednesday - mondays are down, weekends over, tuesdays same..thursday is wishing it was the weekend, friday and saturday and all over the place, sunday is being sad the weekend is over...but wednesday is none of those, it just is. I'm an only child, and don't think i would change that. word to describe my life - re-birth. like the phoenix, i fell into the fire and came out re-born, renewed and revived from the life i had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch...on the extra thing.

    My Friday's off get blended up with other stuff but I try to make that my Sabbath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto on Purple's "ouch". Love your notion of Friday. It makes me rethink the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love the Cornel West quote~very much!
    Great play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your play. Hope is something I struggle with, often my cynical side takes over.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!