Friday, August 31, 2012

character for a day (or longer) 5

For today's character for a day 5, Mary Beth asks, "What five characters would you switch places with for a day? I initially read this to mean characters in books, but hey...you can use plays, movies, comic strips, cartoons, anything you'd like. For bonus points, tell us WHY for each or some."

1. Anne of Green Gables! As urban as most of my life has been, I love her long skirts, long dresses, and the general prairie look and effect.

miami river2. For a locale rather than a character, I love watching CSI Miami! It's a great show, but how fun to imagine myself in the non-crime, urban Miami settings.

3. I'll be Moses' sister Miriam dancing for joy in the desert (and wearing a long skirt, too)! I love how the desert strips us to essentials and heals us; of course the exodus narrative is part of our stories, too.

4. Wol in A A Milne's The House at Pooh Corner, etc. Such an astute observer who never minces words!

5. I want to be one of the humans on the cast of Sesame Street as a create-my-own character! The diverse, yet ever-changing urban setting still sets an example for living in community.

7 comments:

  1. Great list! Interesting how many of us love Anne with an E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my...pick five....only five....okay....1) Trillian from Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books - I love the wacky sense of humor and the oddball cast of characters. 2) Miss Marple from the Agatha Christie books, because I have always loved a good mystery. 3) Rogue from X-men, as a comic book nerd I have always loved Rogue,and the idea of fighting for those who need help, also appealing to me. 4) Amelia Peabody in the Elizabeth Peters novels that take place in Egypt; they combine a local I am fascinated with, archeology and a good mystery story. 5) Eowyn from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous play!!

    And cracker--oh, I almost picked Eowyn! I wish I'd remembered Miss Marple, I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the Anne books too, but I think I'd do better as Mrs. Rachel Lynde... thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine is a rabbi and she hosts a women's Seder every year. I went three times or so when I lived in Chicago and my daughter was younger. A women's Seder tells the Exodus story through the perspective of Miriam and the women. It's fabulous - which is what I think of when you refer to her dancing...

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!