Friday, November 04, 2016

Five Minute Friday: Journey

Back to once-weekly Five Minute Friday free writes again! Today Kate Motaung hosts with a perfect prompt for anyone—Jesus-follower or not. What's the word on the net? Journey.


"I will follow you wherever you go I will follow..."
Luke 9:57, Matthew 8:19

Journey the band has a song with a refrain for everyone.
Don't Stop Believin'

Just a small town girl livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Just a city boy born and raised in South Detroit
He took the midnight train goin' anywhere

Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'

Aside from the South Detroit hood not technically existing, I love that the song's about my dream city and that it reminds me don't stop don't stop believing in life the world myself the church in the power of the Holy Spirit...

My "I will follow you wherever you go I will follow..." graphic is from eons ago—the cover for the church membership directory! Quotes from two of the gospel accounts, yet it's not quite correct to assume any of us will follow jesus wherever he goes. More accurately, though Jesus often suggests a path and leads the way, most humans are slow to discern and recalcitrant to follow immediately, but Jesus is there with us in our space, in our doubts, our fears, hesitations, in our bold moves foreword. Sometimes it's almost more that Jesus follows us than we follow him?!

The poster cliché reminds us it's more about the journey than about the place, goal, or achievement we had in mind when we outlined our itinerary and finally took the first step. Yes, sort of partly maybe. On the journey we meet other people going in the same direction, a few peeps who found themselves on the same path by accident or by mistake; we encounter so many different types of unexpected surprises I can't list only one. At some point in some journeys (treks, peregrinations) that original destination may not be God's call and purpose for us, after all. Maybe because we can't quite hack the journey despite having a fair amount of support. Maybe because we've glanced sideways and discovered something better and dreamier on the horizon.

Wherever you are on whatever journey or phase thereof, please don't stop believin'! Hold on to that feelin'!

five minute friday buttonfive minute friday journey

4 comments:

  1. My seven year old daughters favorite song is "I will follow you" by Chris Tomlin. As I hear her singing, I wonder if she will sing that song when she is older and really understands what it means. I hope so. I want to sing the song with the same level of commitment that my daughter has. Thank you for sharing about your journey. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I didn't even think of the band Journey! love it! Glad I was your FMF neighbor this week!
    --Nichole FMF #70

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was waiting for someone to quote journey and that song. I'm in the 8 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The band came to my mind too but you figured out a way to make it work! Joining you from FMF #78

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!