Friday, November 11, 2016

Into a Future

Hillary campaign bannerThree days later, I still cannot contain my anger about the presidential election process, specifically the electoral college. Again the candidate with the most popular votes did not win the election. However, I have a robustly Reformed high confidence in human aspects of the political process as well as in the ultimate sovereignty of grace and redemption; I don't do Martin Luther's Two Kingdoms / Two Realms.

Late Election Day Tuesday evening one of my former pastors who's now involved in a ministry that's somewhat alternative in style to the usual neighborhood church (by way of intro) updated his Facebook status with Psalm 2:

Why are the nations in tumult,
and the countries plotting in vain?
The kings of the earth establish themselves,
and the rulers conspire together....
He who sits enthroned in the heavens laughs.
The LORD derides them.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath,
and in his fury he terrifies them:
"But as for me, I have set my King
on Zion, on my holy mountain."
He concluded with, "Doesn't matter who the rulers of the earth are. God is still King."

I replied to him and to another friend I've been preparing for advent and I'm excited to tell my adult SS class "all three lectionary years begin Advent with a splash of apocalyptic, signaling the end of the world as we know it." We'll be just fine. God is still King. No checks and balances. None. The American Puritans with their theocracy and their City on a Hill thought they were establishing Zion. How about us? What now? What next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!