Friday, February 17, 2017

Five Minute Friday: Weak

For this week's Five Minute Friday prompt, our host Kate Motaung chose weak. FMF is an unedited free write, typically on the suggested topic. If you've never tried FMF, please consider joining us! You don't even need a blog! You can play in the comments on Kate's page, or in my post comments.

2 Corinthians 12:9

At first weak struck me as too cliché, far too easy-peasy. I could write about finding God's ultimate power and sovereignty in the weakness of the Calvary cross. I could mention how the Messiah who was at once a political, spiritual, economic, social, and religious savior first appeared among us in the vulnerability and powerlessness of the Bethlehem manger. I even could cite more than a few instances of my needing to "let go and let God" (did I say "cliché"?) and discovering God's greatest power and ability amidst the weakness of my own disappointments and failures. So I just now did the formal theology thing.

At first I had little interest in writing about weak; however.... I knew I had an in-process new digitized version of an old freehand graphic of 2 Corinthians 12:9, one of those scripture passages everyone seems to know and that conveys a central facet of the apostle Paul's theology. When I made the initial drawing, I intentionally arranged the words so the passage was hard to follow, particularly if you didn't already know it well. In my attempt to illustrate "weakness," I also made the letterforms irregular, funky, and close to random. What a perfect opportunity to finish the current design to use as my post header! Now that I've come this far, I'll probably make a few more colorways of this scripture.

 # # #

five minute friday button five minute friday weak

3 comments:

  1. The choices you made in creating your artwork produced a lovely piece of art and reminded me that something does not have to be uniform and perfectly formed to be beautiful and convey powerful truth. Thank you. Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your drawing of this scripture! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!