Thursday, July 22, 2010

friday 5: decisions, decisions...

Songbird hosts this week's Friday 5:
Let's keep it simple and go with five word pairs. Tell us which word in the pair appeals to you most, and after you've done all five, give us the reason why for one of them.
These are fun and I'm adding reasons for all five of my answers.

1) If it's really really decadent, rich, and amply frosted, I'll take cake, but pie (better yet, cobbler) chocked full of fresh-picked berries is a blue-ribbon winner, too (please see my response to 4). Either one needs to be crowned with a huge scoop of ice cream--I adore Safeway's Homestyle Vanilla! It has a slightly rough texture along with pronounced vanilla flavor and only that one variety comes in that particular packaging.

2) Airplane, for speed, convenience and getting there without feeling unslept and unbathed. Trains carry a heavy freight of glamour, and I love watching and hearing Amtrak's California Zephyr glide through town. The commuter trains seem somewhat cool...

3) I'd choose not a PC but a Mac for sure, because of its ultra-high reliability and the way it supports design software (not to mention its high-end, techie, semi-geek image). But I'm completely cross-platform, so ultimately it's about whatever gets results without too much chugging or too many serious crashes.

4) I'm a theologian, so I do ambiguity, equivocation, mystery and ambiguity very very well. In case someone happens upon this blog and wonders about the other word in this pair, I'm giving univocal its separate sentence.

5) I like the language of both 1 Peter and 2 Peter, though I'm equivocal about the theology of both books. But who wouldn't and who couldn't love the guy Rocky/Peter/Simon bar Jonah? Paul/Saul, for all time, especially the undisputed epistles though Paul's language gets more and more difficult as his years and ministry progress.

Thanks so much, Songbird!

8 comments:

  1. It's fun to read your reasons! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Peter person, too. And cobbler is a good thing, though I do love cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, cobbler. Or Brown Betty (I'm a big fan of streusel topping). It's the bland crust of pie that tips me in the direction of cake, I'm afraid.

    And just for the record, my word verification was "scones"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like fruit pies that have that crumble topping instead of crust...OMG, yum. Best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, for a theologian, I would have thought you would go for Paul. But I think there is more than one Paul in the NT so Peter may be better for theolgians. In the face of God, I think we are all equivocal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another cobbler lover here. And I love Peter, but have learned more from Paul. Had to make peace with him first, but once I figured out he was actually a supporter of women instead of a mysogynist, it was easier.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!