Friday, July 02, 2010

I want to be part of a church that...5

"I want to be part of a church that 5..." for today's Friday 5, from Sally, who says in her intro:
This has been a good week for British Methodism, The Annual Conference has discussed and debated many things and not shied away from some difficult stuff. ... In the Vice-President's Address Eunice Attwood gave an inspiring account of the type of church she wants to be a part of, almost poetic she said:

I want to be part of a church that is prayer-filled -
A church that is resourced and sustained by the Bible,
A church that can offer hope even in a credit crunch,
A church that can live well with difference and diversity.

I want to be part of a church that welcomes the wealthy, those who have power and influence -
A church that knows how to party and celebrate life,
A church that acknowledges death and speaks boldly of resurrection,
A church that doesn’t pretend to have all the answers but encourages all the questions.

I want to be part of a church that throws parties for prostitutes -
A church that welcomes those who seek asylum,
A church that longs and yearns for justice,
A church that listens to those no-one else wants to listen to.

I want to be part of a church that believes in transformation not preservation -
A church where all who are lost can be found,
A church where people can discover friendship,
A church where every person takes responsibility in sharing the good news.

I want to be part of a church whose hope is placed securely and confidently in the transforming love of God -
A church that engages faith in its communities,
A church that makes and nurtures disciples of Jesus.

A church where the story of God’s love is at the centre.
I want to be part of a church that offers outrageous grace, reckless generosity, transforming love and engaging faith.
This is God’s story Transforming Love: Engaging Faith.

My prayer is that by the power of the Spirit of God at work amongst us, it will increasingly be our story.
Very beautiful and inspiring! In Pentecostal red, here's my quick list 5:

1. I want to be part of a church with the sacraments at the centre of its practice and proclamation.

2. I want to be part of a church that does not seek to be attractive to the world and similar to the world in its style but desires to live faithfully in the Gospel, at the same time living out its life and mission in incarnational ways people can relate to.

3. I want to be part of a church that celebrates the earth and teaches stewardship of all life, that lives constantly aware of our covenant with all creation.

4. I want to be part of a church that welcomes my full participation, as well as the involvement of all comers.

5. My final 5 is from Sally's list: I want to be part of a church that acknowledges death and speaks boldly of resurrection.

2 comments:

  1. and I respond positively to boldly proclaimed resurrection. at a recent funeral I was surprised that it was all more like Titanic "her life will go on and on - in our memory of her..."

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting—peace and hope to all of us!